Membership Meeting 2nd Wednesday of the Month 4:00pm Location of the Meeting: IAM Local 1781:1511 Rollins Road,Burlingame, CA 94010
- Tell Your Senators to Vote ‘No’ on Gutting the VA May 18, 2018The U.S. House of Representatives on Thursday voted 347-70 to pass the VA Mission Act (S. 2372). Our Sisters and Brothers at NFFE-IAM worked very hard to block this bill, or at least mitigate its damage to veteran care. Unfortunately, none of our seven changes to the bill were accepted. The VA Mission Act now […]
- FRA Requests Information on Automation in the Railroad Industry May 18, 2018In March 2018, the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) issued a notice in the Federal Register wherein the agency requested comments from the public regarding railroad automation, and how this technology may impact the railroad industry going forward. This request encompassed the entirety of the railroad industry, and sought input on the impacts of automation on […]
- RRB Will Mail New Medicare Cards May 17, 2018The U.S. Railroad Retirement Board (RRB) will send new Medicare cards to its beneficiaries in the coming weeks. The primary benefit of the new cards is that it makes identity theft much less likely, since they will no longer include the beneficiary’s social security number. This initiative results from the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization […]
- Machinists Union Members Will Vote on New United Launch Alliance Offer May 17, 2018Nearly 600 Machinist Union Members at United Launch Alliance will soon vote on a new offer from the company. The negotiating committee is recommending this new agreement to the membership. Machinist members have been on strike against the company since Monday, May 7, 2018 at facilities in Decatur, AL, Vandenberg Air Force Base, CA, and […]
- Machinists Call for Crackdown on Forced Technology Transfers May 17, 2018The Machinists Union this week continued its push for fair trade policies. In testimony before the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, the IAM again sounded the alarm on unfair trade practices that cost North American jobs, like the forced transfer of technology by countries like China. “Over the years, China has relied on transfers […]
- Independent Drivers Guild Building Momentum for First Ever Minimum Pay Rate for App-Based Drivers May 17, 2018New York City’s Taxi and Limousine Commission has until Monday, May 21 to decide whether to accept or reject groundbreaking new pay rules proposed by the Independent Drivers Guild, a Machinists Union affiliate which represents and advocates for more than 60,000 app-based drivers in the city. Support for the rules is growing, with more than 16,000 drivers signed on […]
- IAM Communications Studio Dedicated to Former Director Robert Kalaski May 17, 2018Retired International President George Kourpias, General Vice President Rickey Wallace, co-workers and family members of former IAM Communications Department Director Robert Kalaski were in attendance, as the department’s production studio was dedicated in the late Kalaski’s honor. “Bob Kalaski ran this department from 1977 to 2000, a time of great changes in communications and technology,” […]
- Fighting for IAM Peacekeepers May 17, 2018NFFE-IAM police officers at a Marine base in California have been hit hard by a government glitch. The Department of Defense says it accidentally overpaid the officers and wants them to reimburse the wages, in some cases debts of up to $80.000. The post Fighting for IAM Peacekeepers appeared first on IAMAW.
- Safety Training for Non-native Construction Workers in Small Companies Inadequate According to NIOSH/ASSE Research May 17, 2018Safety Training for Non-native Construction Workers in Small Companies Inadequate According to NIOSH/ASSE Research According to research by NIOSH and the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE), non-native workers in small construction companies are less likely to receive even the minimum safety and health training required by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). The […]
- 2018 IAM Scholarship Winners May 17, 2018The IAM is pleased to announce the 2018 Scholarship winners. An impartial committee of educators selected 16 recipients for this year’s awards. We congratulate the winners and thank all those who participated in the competition. The post 2018 IAM Scholarship Winners appeared first on IAMAW.